Saturday, May 8, 2010

How to Roast Eggplant

Hooray, it's my first veggie post! This recipe is another keeper that I found on recipezaar.

I was in the grocery store recently and happened to notice a display of eggplants. I have the produce section memorized, so something new always catches my eye. I didn't really think about whether or not eggplant was in season, but I decided to grab one while I had the chance.

A few days went by and I realized that it was time to do something with that eggplant. A quick investigation turned up "Roasted Eggplant (Aubergine) Spread." I really don't get the whole "spread" part of it. It's so yummy that I don't know why you would put it on bread or crackers, unless you think it is just too rich on its own. To me it is just a yummy veggie dish to mingle with the other flavors on your plate.

Anyway, here is how to make it:



Ingredients*
    - 1 medium eggplant
    -2 red bell peppers, seeded
    -1 red onion, peeled**
    -2 garlic cloves, minced
    - 3 tablespoons olive oil
    -1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    -1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
    -1 tablespoon tomato paste







*I would highly suggest doubling or even tripling if you are going to use this as an actual side dish and not just an appetizer spread. The eggplant cooks down by about half, so even if it looks like a lot in the beginning, the result will yield much less.

**I just used a regular onion.

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1) Chop up all the veggies.
2) Mix it all together in a bowl (or the baking dish) with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and tomato paste.
3) Spread in baking dish if you haven't already and roast about 45 minutes or until "lightly brown."
4) Take out of oven, let cool for a few minutes, and then mash with a fork or blender.

No comments:

Post a Comment