Saturday, May 15, 2010

How to Make Mocha Cheesecake

What is it about cheesecake? I'm by no means a connoisseur, but could making one really be that hard?

Due to a "prophetic" dream a few weeks ago, and with prompting from my roommate, I decided to give it a try. What did I have to lose? What could go wrong with mixing a little cream cheese, egg, and sugar together and popping it in the oven?

This is my mom/Joy of Chocolate's recipe:



Ingredients:*
(Crust)
1 3/4 c cookie crumbs (chocolate wafers, graham crackers...)

4 1/2 tbsp melted butter
(Filling)
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
8 oz. semisweet chocolate
16 oz. cream cheese (softened)
2 eggs
3/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp coffee (instant)
1 1/2 c sour cream

*I halved this recipe because I only wanted one pie. If you go by what's written, you should get about 2 medium pies.

Directions:
1) Crust: Crush cookies; mix with melted butter; press into pan and place in freezer to harden until cooking time.
2) Melt unsweetened and semisweet chocolate in double boiler (or microwave); set aside.
3) Beat remaining ingredients (except for sour cream) with electric mixer.
4) Mix in sour cream on low speed.
5) Add melted chocolate and pour into crusts.*
6) Bake at 350 until "firmish but not dry." In other words, needs to set and not be runny in the middle, but doesn't have to browned on top.

*You may notice my lovely marbled design. I decided to swirl the chocolate in instead of mixing it completely. It seemed like a good idea at the time, but when cooled, the chocolate hardened and seemed almost like a separate entity. For uniform flavor, mix it in completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment