Sunday, May 23, 2010

How to Make Russian Peasant Dip

Some fellow Russian students and I found this recipe while we were living in the "Russian Immersion House" (read: eating lots of blini and watching Russian soviet cartoons).

I am not sure what is actually Russian about this recipe besides the name and the fact that it's made with ingredients commonly found in a Russian refrigerator (sour cream, dill,...).

It's good as a dip for bread and veggies and can also be used as a sauce for meat (I put it on some fish).

For a nice party presentation, you can hollow out a round loaf of bread and pour in the dip, arranging the bread pieces around it.



Ingredients:
(makes enough for a bread bowl)
1 1/3 c mayonnaise
1 1/3 c sour cream
2 tbsp minced onion
2 tsp dill
2 tsp seasoned salt

Directions:
-mix, chill until ready to serve (the flavor intensifies as it chills)

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like the sauce I provide the kids for just everything - and I thought I made it up! I realized that half mayo and half sour cream tasted more like Russian salad dressing than anything else I'd tried, and the dill and onion - well that is just common sense!

    Do you freeze dill? Mine either dries up, molds, or gets bad in some new and creative way before I can use it all....but here it is quite expensive, so I'm exasperated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I need to fix my settings so I actually know when people leave comments. No, I don't freeze dill, but I think there is a way to salt it and keep it in a jar. Someone gave us a supply that lasted for quite a while. Something to investigate...

    ReplyDelete