My roommate discovered this recipe and I immediately became a fan. Cheesy, buttery, potato goodness. I like it better than other scalloped potato recipes I've tried to make.
Credit goes to Sue Gregg, who adapted her recipes for life in Russia and had a Russian-language edition printed.
1 1/4 c milk or cream
2 c cheddar cheese (shredded)
1/4 c chopped onion
6 potatoes of medium size (peeled, sliced into thin circles)
3 tsbp butter
2 tbsp flour
any additional herbs or spices you prefer
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1) Heat the milk or cream in a saucepan on low heat (do not let it reach the boiling point).
2) While it's heating, do any remaining chopping/peeling/grating, etc.
3) Assemble the ingredients in a baking pan in the following order: potatoes, salt and pepper, chopped onion, butter (scatter in pieces), flour (sprinkle), grated cheese.
4) Cover; bake for about an hour or until potatoes are tender.
5) Garnish with salt, pepper, paprika, parsley, etc.