the eggplant one, except it's a different veggie mix and I threw in a little meat since it was going to be a main dish.
I started with the mystery squash in the photo at right. It's about the same size and shape as what I usually refer to as "summer squash" (yellow), but is pale green with some stripes. Perhaps a zucchini variation...aren't they all cousins, anyway?
I liked the eggplant so much that I decided to use a similar recipe, and it did not disappoint.
-2 summer squash (how do you pluralize?), zucchini, or something in the same family
-1 bell pepper (I used yellow, but it's up to you)
-1 onion, chopped
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-1 tbsp tomato paste
-1 tsp brown sugar
-salt and pepper, to taste
-optional: a few sliced hot dogs, kielbasa, or strips of bacon
-other possible additions: cheese, a beaten egg...
*Definitely double the recipe if you want to serve more than 3-4 people. The veggies cook down a lot!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1) Peel anything that you feel necessary, then chop and throw veggies into roasting pan or baking dish.
2) Throw in slices of meat if using.
3) Toss with salt and pepper, tomato paste, sugar, any additional spices...
4) Bake for 45-60 min or until veggies are browned and getting squishy.
5) Serve with potatoes, rice, or pasta to make it a more complete meal.