Saturday, December 18, 2010

How to Make Savory Pumpkin Relish

I wasn't sure what to call this dish, because I realize everyone's used to Pumpkin Pie and might be put off the thought of a non-sweet pumpkin dish. I did try to make a spicy pumpkin soup, but it just wasn't hitting my tastebuds the right way.


This is what I came up with, and I like it as a flavorful side dish, a pasta accompaniment, or even just spread on bread.

Recipe follows.


Note that you can use either fresh pumpkin or canned.

Ingredients:
Pumpkin puree (1 can?)
2 tomatoes
1 large onion
2 carrots
2 cloves of garlic
salt, pepper

Directions:
1) Preparation of fresh pumpkin: what I did was boiled big chunks (after getting rid of the seeds) and then peeled (comes off easily) and grated it. You do have to be careful not to overboil as you'll start to lose some of the flesh.

2) Saute onions, garlic, and carrots. With the veggies I grated them all on the cheese grater (don't have a food processor or blender), including onions and garlic. I wanted it to all be mixed well.

3) Add the pumpkin puree to the veggies to warm it up and allow the flavors to mingle.

4) Tomatoes: peel  (you can find tips online), and grate on the cheese grater to get a fine pulp.

5) Add the tomatoes to the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for a minute or two.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment