What would December goodies be without our gingerbread buddies? But alas, molasses is not to be found anywhere in stores here. I finally tried substituting honey, and it has now become a favorite alternate recipe.
The first time I made them in Russia, I couldn't even find the ground spices, so I ended up infusing the dough with hunks of fresh ginger and whole cloves as it chilled. I think I ended up crushing some of the cloves and sprinkling them in, too.
1 c butter or shortening
1 c sugar
1 c molasses or honey
4 c flour
2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbl sp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
*This recipe makes a LOT of cookies! You might want to halve it unless you are cooking for a crowd.
Preheat oven to 350
1) Cream butter and sugar.
2) Add molasses/honey and eggs.
3) Mix in remaining ingredients.
4) Refrigerate dough for an hour or so.
5) Roll to 1/4" and cut into shapes; keeping remaining dough refrigerated.
6) Bake 5-7 minutes until puffy and a little brown. (be careful to avoid burning!)
Source: Sandy Berks, via my mother