Tuesday, August 3, 2010
How to Make Spinach Quiche
I am looking forward to making quiche here in Russia once the weather cools down a bit.
The traditional filling here is a spinach mixture (far right), which is DELICIOUS, but as you can see from the photo, many combinations are possible, and may be necessary for me as I don't come across spinach very regularly. The broccoli one, for instance, was also tasty.
1 pie crust (?)
1 package frozen spinach
8 oz cream cheese
2 cloves peeled garlic
grated or chopped cheese, to taste (cheddar, swiss, feta, mozzarella, goat cheese, etc.)
other options: sauteed mushrooms, peppers, onions, artichoke hearts, avocado, crumbled bacon (mmmm)
1) Ahead of time: defrost pie crust; defrost and drain spinach.
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3) Combine spinach with cream cheese, eggs, and garlic in a blender and puree.
4) Add other types of cheese and pout into pie crust.
5) Add additional toppings and bake until middle starts to puff up, or is fairly firm. Add salt and pepper, to taste.