Friday, April 30, 2010

How to Make Walnut and Sunflower Seed Bread

Ever since I found a whole wheat flour source in St. Petersburg, I've been trying to learn how to make bread. I haven't really gotten to the point yet where I like the process. I hate getting sticky dough all over my hands and trying to clean up all the flour afterwards.

However, can't complain about the finished result! It's nice to have homemade bread around.



I wanted to try a variation with seeds and found this recipe at allrecipes.com which was highly praised. Since it was for a bread machine, a kind commenter had left a modified recipe, which I then further altered.

So here it is:

Ingredients:

2 c warm water
4-6 tbsp brown sugar
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 c oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
5-7 c flour (about half whole wheat, half refined)
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c chopped walnuts

Directions:

1) Dissolve sugar in water, then add yeast and let proof about 10 min.
2) Add oil and salt.
3) Add 3-4 c flour.
4) Add seeds and nuts.
5) Mix; add additional flour; knead.
6) Let rise in oiled bowl for 1 hour; punch down.
7) Form loaves.
8) Let rise again for 45 min.
9) Bake at 375 for 30 min.

This bread came out slightly chewy and on the sweeter side. You could adjust the sweetener amount.

I always have trouble with the flour because the dough keeps seeming too sticky and then by the time it is manageable enough to knead, it seems like too much flour. So I am still figuring that part out.


No comments:

Post a Comment